Friends of Foresight – Meeting on Existential Risks – August 30, 2022
- Posted by Mara Di Berardo
- On 28 July 2022
- 0 Comments
- Existential Threats, foresight, workshop
As international cooperation on strategic threats, research and solutions are crucial, the Association of Professional Futurists, in collaboration with The Millennium Project and World Futures Studies Federation, will hold a global virtual conversation at the next 𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗦 𝗢𝗙 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧: 𝘼𝙍𝙀 𝙀𝙓𝙄𝙎𝙏𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙄𝘼𝙇 𝙍𝙄𝙎𝙆𝙎 𝙃𝙄𝘿𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙄𝙉 𝙋𝙇𝘼𝙄𝙉 𝙎𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏 to unpack and explore the futures and impacts of long-range existential threats to the survival of humanity.
Ranging from artificial intelligence to the weakening magnetic fields that protect life on Earth among others, the conversation will tackle possible planetary-wide world-views, initiatives, solutions and actions to prevent, mitigate and enhance our capability to survive and thrive catastrophic risks and threats.
Speakers in the meeting will be Jerome Glenn, The Millennium Project, Shermon Cruz, APF, Erik Øverland, WFSF, Duncan Cass-Beggs, OECD, and Rosa Alegria, co-chair of the Brazil Node of The Millennium Project, with the discussion moderated by Jost Wagner.
𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬𝗢𝗡𝗘 𝗜𝗦 𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗘 𝗧𝗢 𝗝𝗢𝗜𝗡! 𝗥𝗘𝗚𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗢𝗪.
📆 When: Friday, August 30 | 10:00 PM AEST (UTC +10)
📌 Where: Online via Zoom
🔗 Register Here: https://lnkd.in/dCxspNEi
Resources from the Millennium Project:
- “200 World leaders call for a new UN office to coordinate global research to prevent human extinction” (press release, Sept. 8, 2021)
- “Global Strategic Threats and the Proposal to create a Specialized UN Office” (June, 2021)
- Example for the UN Office of Strategic or Existential Threats (by The Millennium Project, June, 2021)
Discover more about the Open Letter to the UN Secretary-General to conduct a feasibility study for a UN Office on Strategic or Existential Threats promoted by The Millennium Project.